Monday, March 25, 2013

Paying it Forward

Over the years I have had the privilege of working with lots of folks.  When I look back on my career I have gotten to work on some amazing technology programs, perhaps some of the greatest of the last 2 decades.  As satisfying as those achievements have been, it's the people that I remember and cherish the most.

My first assistant is now a degreed engineer and is working as a systems engineering in a leading aerospace corporation.  Watching her, as a single mother, transform her life and being a part of that journey was an experience I wouldn't have missed.  Attending her graduation from a master's program was one of the proudest moments of my life because I chose to get involved. 

A young man from a very disadvantaged background that was a part of a mentorship program at a prior employer stayed in touch.  I helped him with his first job out of college, shared a few meals and lots of phone calls about his career.  I have watched him develop into a fine engineer and he has the makings of an outstanding leader and I am proud to give him what little I have to offer in terms of advice.  He has most of the answers and my job is to listen while he works it out.

Make no mistake, I am not claiming any credit for their successes.  My only role was to be a friend, an advisor and sometimes lending a hand.  They did all the hard work and deserve the real credit.  My point is this.  However far you go in year career, remember that somewhere along the line you someone that helped you and believed in you.  I know I did.  I had lots of help from my childhood neighbor that got me my first internship, to my early bosses that put up with my brash behavior and ran cover for me, to my bosses in my first big executive role who taught me taught me to re-examine constraints when considering solutions to problems and that the people in the organization make the difference.  I have run up a big debt and hope some day to repay it with interest.  Take the time and get involved.  It doesn't have to be something big, it can be as simple as tutoring a kid struggling in math or mentoring a new hire.  Just pay it forward.  You not only owe it, it pays it's own dividends.

No comments: